The Oak Harbor Public Schools applied and were approved to receive two grants through the Washington State Department of Defense Community Compatibility Grant and the Department of Defense to rebuild Crescent Harbor Elementary and HomeConnection/Hand-in-Hand Early Learning Center.
Due to their locations on military installations, conditions and capacity limitations, these two schools were eligible to receive 80 percent of the funding from the Department of Defense to replace these two schools. The remaining 20 percent needed to be supported through local funding, such a school bond measure. After failing to secure the supermajority needed in the State of Washington to approve a school bond measure for the remaining 20 percent of the funding, district leadership submitted a state grant in an attempt to not lose out on approximately $100 million in federal funding to replace the two schools.
Through the strong advocacy and support of Senator Ron Muzzall, Legislative Representatives Dave Paul and Clyde Shavers, Lieutenant Governor Denny Heck and district leadership, Oak Harbor Public Schools was able to access more than $130 million in funding to support local students at no cost to local taxpayers.
The state funding comes from a grant submitted by Oak Harbor Public Schools through the State of Washington for the Defense Community Compatibility Account (DCCA). With the two schools on military installations and the available matching dollars from the Department of Defense, the schools were eligible for the grant funding, which totaled close to $30 million. Crescent Harbor Elementary and Hand-in-Hand Early Learning Center/HomeConnection are the only two schools in Oak Harbor eligible for these unique grants because of their location on military installations.
An early imagining of the new school for Hand-in-Hand Early Learning and HomeConnection
Location: Off Regatta next to Olympic View Elementary School (Pending Environmental Approval)
An early imagining of new school for Crescent Harbor Elementary
Location: Current CHE location but the school will be built on the back of the property.
|Final OLDCC Grant Application & Award
|December 2023/January 2024
|December 2023/January 2024
|Finalize Design & Construction Docs
|Project Bidding & Award
|Logging at HIH Site
|* April 2024
|Begin Construction CHE & HIH
|CHE Construction (18.5 months)
|June 2024 – Nov. 2025
|CHE Estimated Move-In
|* December 2025
|HIH Construction (21.5 months)
|June 2024 – March 2026
|HIH Estimated Move-In
|* March 2026
* It is important to note that construction planning and execution include many factors that may alter this schedule and all dates are subject to change. If and when that happens, we will update this schedule to the best of our ability.
Drilling is occuring on the property of Crescent Harbor Elementary. The construction team is drilling a 350 ft. hole (Column) to measure temperature (Heat) at different points in the ground. The drilling is to determine the possibility of heating the new building using Geo-Thermal heat pumps. This daytime work involves a temporary access road along the South fence of the property. Safety measures will be in place to ensure the safety of students, staff, families, and community members.
What to expect: