Skip to main content

Medications in School

Medications in School

For students who take medications at school

If it is necessary for a student to take medicine at school, the procedure is as follows:

  1. A school medication form must be signed by both the healthcare provider and the parent. These forms are good for one school year only and must be renewed each school year.  Parent Information and School Medication Form   
  2. The medicine must be in a container from the pharmacy that includes the name of the student, medication, dosage, and directions for use. Medication at school must be kept in the main office with the school secretarial staff. EpiPens and inhalers can be kept with the student if both the parent and health care provider give consent, provide an emergency action plan and provide the medication form and medication for the student. For self-carry and self-administration, the parent must sign the liability waiver on the medication administration form.
  3. The student must go to the school secretary/ receptionist to receive the medication. No other medication is to be carried by students without special clearance through the nursing staff.

For more information, please contact the health services staff member at your child's school.